HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baptist Hospital Beaumont

2 posters

Go down

Baptist Hospital Beaumont Empty Baptist Hospital Beaumont

Post  Jo Ann Russell Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Went with new member Rhonda Glanzer and Wangler today and visited the pedi unit among others. The nurses at the pedi unit were concerned because they have not had any Pet Partner visits this summer and they all said that the visits by the dogs made such a difference for the children. They asked that I encourage all to consider making a trip in to visit.

You will need a T.B. test, but if you will visit Liberty Health Care Center, the head nurse, Pat, will do the test free. Then all you need to do is take the test results form to Volunteer services and sign their forms. I have lots of coloring books and lots of doggie sacks for the goodies. Fill the bags with your bookmarks, coloring books, small box of colors, and a get well card I will do up for your dog or whatever you want to add in. No Candy as diets may interfere. Lots of fun.

If you go to a flea market or garage sale look for gently used paperback books about dogs. These make great gifts in the goodie bag for older children who are "too big" for coloring books.

When I visit Half Priced Books in Humble I will look for some. Also as soon as school supplies go on sale I will buy up a case of crayloas. The kids really do appreciate the visits.

Of course, I like to visit in the other units as well. Even the waiting areas are full of people who are stressed and enjoy a brief visit from our furry friends.
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Baptist Hospital Beaumont Empty Re: Baptist Hospital Beaumont

Post  janeen schneider Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:08 pm

Jo Ann, I want to be sure I understand. We don't have to do any special training for the hospital? We just take the TB test to their volunteer services and fill out forms? I don't know why, I thought we had to go for a special training day.
janeen schneider
janeen schneider
Admin

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://point2kennels.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Baptist Hospital Beaumont Empty Baptist accepts Paws Members

Post  Jo Ann Russell Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Vicki Holcombe, the volunteer coordinator of Baptist Hospital Beaumont, is very impressed with the training we have held there and she accepts our members without going through a full day orientation. You do have to complete a Volunteer application, she does a cursory background check, and you have to have your TB test and dog the rabies plus the Delta registration. You can go to their employee health nurse and get the TB test or the head nurse at Liberty Health Care center will give it to the Paws members who visit (even occasionally)there. She said, "I should have been asking you to have one anyway, so this takes care of my records also."
Baptist is also happy with us using oour shirts as identification, but will give you a Baptist shirt if you like.

Pedi nurses are asking for visiting teams. Other units are welcoming teams also. You have to call the Volunteer office, Barbara--Vicki's assistant--and tell her when you would like to come and where you would like to visit. Or just say, "Line me up two different units." I think a dog who would play catch would be a great hit in the physical rehab unit. The best way to get there is to talk to Vicki, have her contact the head of that unit and set up a visit. The day I go, I report about 30 minutes early to volunteer services, check in and get my assignment. Then I go t the floor, check in at the nursing station. Usually one of the nurses goes with me and enters the room first, announcing the visit.

I have some items for gift bags for the kids and will get more as soon as school supplies go on sale. For adults I have Get Well cards that I will print up for you and your bookmarks. Need more let me know. I keep looking for other things to take, crossword puzzel books, and doggie paperbacks for the young adult kids. It is rreally a nice atmosphere. All the staff has been so receptive everytime I have been there. Bruce likes the ICU waiting area as he does not have to endure the elevators.

I would like to make a visit next week. Let me know if you want to go. You could go and shadow just to see, or if you have your TB take Annie, fill out the paperwork and make a visit. They trust us that we are only going to recommend and bring trustworthy teams. Let me know and I will tell Vicki I am bringing another Paws member and dog. Only hitch is you have to have the TB test before making a visit with the dog. I'll send you the e-mail for Vicki if you can't go next week; you could e-mail her and ask her to send you the application so you could fill it out and be ready to visit.

Last edited by Jo Ann Russell on Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Christus St. Elizabeth requires a volunteer orientation that is almost a whole day.)
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Baptist Hospital Beaumont Empty Re: Baptist Hospital Beaumont

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down