HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cypress Glen Nursing Home Fall Festival

4 posters

Go down

Cypress Glen Nursing Home Fall Festival Empty Cypress Glen Nursing Home Fall Festival

Post  Rachael Harper Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Hello All,

I will begin visiting at Cypress Glen Nursing Home this Sunday, October 24th. The Activities direstor, Mrs. Ruth Stutz has asked if we could get a group of our Pet Partners together on the evening of October 28th (Thursday) from 6:00 to 7:00 pm or as late as 7:30 pm so that we can attend their Fall Festival which is to be held outside on the grounds weather permitting. I told her that I would put this out there and see if anyone other than myself would be interested in bringing their pets for the residents Again, it would be a great opportunity to get the word out about us and bring some happiness to the residents there as well as ourselves and our pets! I'm sure we could dress our pets in their Halloween costumes too! I will be there so if any of you are interested (And I hope some are), please call or e-mail me and I can give directions to the facility. Thanks!

Rachael
Rachael Harper
Rachael Harper

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Back to top Go down

Cypress Glen Nursing Home Fall Festival Empty Re: Cypress Glen Nursing Home Fall Festival

Post  Jo Ann Russell Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:32 pm

Rachel hope this went well. sorry we could not support you, but I had most of the bunch working hard with evauations that extended into the evening hours.

Also, when you havesomething, also send it to me for posting on the group e-mail. Double coverage helps.

We tested another Tank today. Brindle mastiff, very nice, but wasn't ready. Tank will have a buddy (female kind).

Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Cypress Glen Nursing Home Fall Festival Empty Re: Cypress Glen Nursing Home Fall Festival

Post  Denice&Mae Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Mae and I will try to make it but I can't make any promises. Depends on work. I will call you if it looks like we can for directions. Smile
Denice&Mae
Denice&Mae

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Gubala Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Is this something that I can do? I am a new PAWS member but my puppy was not old enough to test on Sunday. I did go to the workshop Saturday. I would like to participate and bring my pup Kennedy if that is ok. I know she will be fine, she and I already doing a Halloween event at my church Saturday and have been invited to another church Sunday. If we can participate, I will bring her in costume. Please let me know.

Sara & Kennedy
Sara Gubala
Sara Gubala

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachael Harper Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:19 pm

Denice, thanks for your reply. As soon as I know who besides myself, that would like to come, I will call and let Ruth know at Cypress Glen. The initial plan was to have this outside, but she will be monitoring the weather to see if they need to move it indoors. She told me it has been a while since they have done this. I will keep you posted.
Rachael Harper
Rachael Harper

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachael Harper Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Sara and Kennedy, I do not see a problem with you participating in this event. As I get more details, I will let you know, but the plan is to go to the nursing home around 6:30 and just be present in case any of the residents would like to interact with the dogs. I don't know if you are familiar with the area, it is located on 9th Avenue in Port Arthur. Like I was telling Denice and Mae, I will be talking to Ruth to see if they will be holding this inside or out, and I will confirm whether or not they still want us if they move it indoors. Thanks for writing and I look forward to meeting you also!
Rachael Harper
Rachael Harper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Gubala Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Thanks so much!! I live in Nederland so I know right where Cypress Glenn is located and I look forward to meeting you Thursday. Just keep me posted if something changes, we will plan to be there at 6:30pm as well.
Sara Gubala
Sara Gubala

Back to top Go down

Cypress Glen Nursing Home Fall Festival Empty Cypress Glen

Post  Rachael Harper Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:39 am

Sara and Denice and anyone else that is interested,
The festival will be held outside in front of the facility. It is located on 9th Avenue in Port Arthur. This festival is for the residents, their families and the employees. I spoke with Mrs. Stutz this morning and she said that we can just show up and be available if anyone should want to interact with our dogs. It starts at 6:00 and goes until 7:30. I will be there no later than 6:30, hopefully 6:00 as I have a 4:00 - 5:00 appointment so I will get there as soon as I can. Anyone that wants to take part is welcome to come....Thanks,

Rachael
Rachael Harper
Rachael Harper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Gubala Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Sounds good Rachel!! Kennedy and I will be there around 6:15pm! We are so excited!!

Sara
Sara Gubala
Sara Gubala

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachael Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:21 pm

Tank and I (and Ron) met up with Sara and Kennedy at Cypress Glen this evening for their Fall Festival. It was held outside on the grounds and the weather was just perfect. It was a very nice event and the residents and their families and the employees and their families seemed to really enjoy it. Tank and Kennedy (Sara's partner) were a hit and they got a lot of attention and lots of petting! Sara and Kennedy are "naturals" and they will be a great team as well as a great addtion to Paws. It really is rewarding to see the "joy" and the smiles that our teams bring to everyone that we meet. As one gentleman told me this evening, "it's sometimes the smallest things" that reap the largest rewards....

Rachael

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Gubala Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:09 am

Hi Rachael and Everyone Else - Kennedy and I had an amazing time tonight! Thank you so much for allowing us to participate and for mentoring us tonight!! I really enjoyed seeing the residents and talking to them. Kennedy and I spent some time both outside and inside the facility. We spent a long time talking to a group of ladies and Kennedy loved ALL the attention. One lady tried to feed her a hot dog but I asked her not to and offered her dog treats to give Kennedy instead and she just loved sitting there and feeding my pup which she said was "very hungry". There was man who came in tonight on a walker all gruff and a little upset and he stopped quickly and yelled "dog", when I asked if he wanted to pet Kennedy, his whole demeanor changed instantly, it just melted my heart to see how a dog could change someone's whole attitude instantly (it maybe also helped that I had her in a Halloween costume, which was a fairy princess dress and the man thought she looked absolutely hysterical). After tonight, I know that Kennedy does enjoy sitting with senior citizens and definitely likes having her ears rubbed by anyone and everyone, she definitely was a little hyper early on but was so much better one on one with the people. I can't wait until we can officially go as one lady cried when we left and I know that we touched her heart and that is what this is all about.

Very Happy Sara and Kennedy
Sara Gubala
Sara Gubala

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Ann Russell Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:01 am

Rachel thank you for your work with Cypress Gardens. I know you will find the relationships you will forge with the residents, some of the most treasured in your visitation experiences. The nursing home is my favorite visitation---even above READ.

Sara and Kennedy, I am sure you will be a very successful team. It sounds like both teams had a wonderful experience. Somehow the more we try to make others happy and share with them, the more we find we are the ones receiving the rewards and blessings.

Just one note of caution: Sara remember you and Kennedy have not yet been through your evaluation and therefore are not covered under either ITA or Delta insurance. HOWEVER, if you have homeowners or apartment dweller's insurance and a pet liability clause included in that policy, you have your own personal coverage--just not a registered team yet. BUT YOU WILL BE and you will be a great team contributing to the joy of many.
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Gubala Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:26 am

Hi Joann - Thanks for your reply, I have checked with my insurance company and they said that my policy does include coverage in case Kennedy scratched or bit someone. I do understand that we are not a registered team and we did not go to Cypress Glen representing ourselves that way at all. In fact, Rachael and I told people that Kennedy and I are training to be a team. When Kennedy and I have participated in several local events, we have just done so for practice around lots of different types of people so that when she has the opportunity to do official therapy work, she and I will be ready. We do look forward to the day when we can test and become a registered team.
Sara Gubala
Sara Gubala

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Ann Russell Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:11 pm

So glad you checked with your insurance company. Never thought you went representing anything but "in training". It just comes with the territory (having dwelt with some really trumped up cases during my career in HR and now guiding folks here in Paws) for me to give gentle reminders on occasions. Don't want to cloud your enthusiasm. With your insurance you are in great shape. Very Happy

Looking forward to the next evaluation.

Know you are busy with school now. Maybe during the Christmas break you can get with Denice and make your initial shadow visits at Baptist. ALso, St. Mary's is a great place as well as St. Elizabeth. The contact person is Michelle Hammerly in the Education Department. Her title is Pet Partner Coordinator. She will require a bit more volunteer orientation and she will shadow you around in St. E. It is a great program also.

Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Gubala Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi Jo Ann - I am planning to shadow Denice. I mailed in my volunteer application to Baptist but I have not heard back from them. I wasn't sure if I could shadow until they had approved me as a volunteer. I also thought I was required to do a TB test. I will follow-up with Baptist this week so that perhaps I can shadow Denice sooner. I also plan to contact Michelle and see what I need to do to volunteer at St. E's and/or St. Mary's. Thanks!!

Sara Gubala
Sara Gubala

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down