HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog Fight during Evaluation

Go down

Dog Fight during Evaluation Empty Dog Fight during Evaluation

Post  Jo Ann Russell Sat May 02, 2009 11:15 pm

Poor Niesy and Crush. They were attacked by a standard poodle during the evaluations at St. Elizabeth today. The poodle had been handled by his owner through one evaluation and stress had built, but he made it. Instead of doing as I told them, the friend came in back to back with the poodle as they were in a hurry to do something else. So we get to the neutral dog exercise. Poodle had trouble when Holly was the neutral dog and had to re-do as he wanted to cross over to her, but the second time the handler was more proactive.

Anyway, this time with the friend, who was not at all proactive or in control of him. As the two teams approached each other I realized that both dogs needed a bit more control, stopped the exercise, and sent back to redo with control. This time Crush remained with Niesy, but may have rumbled in his throat--not a growl, just noise--. As Niesy reached to shake the lady's hand, the poodle jumped Crush. Niesy grabbed Crush off the floor, held him up to her chest and backed till she could back no more. The other dog broke his collar, and followed Niesy attacking Crush the whole time. The handler did nothing to get her dog in control before saying hello and certainly did nothing to keep him from attacking.

When I told the owner and the friend that the dog was Inappropriate for visiting the owner told me that he acted that way because he is an intact male and the neutral dog was not neutered.

Thank heavens Niesy and Crush are okey and Crush will work on controlling his vocalizations before the next evaluation!!!!

Evaluated a Labrodoodle (nice dog), a sheltie, a golden, a standard poodle, a lab, great dane,
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down