HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darla and Bruce make first hospital visits

Go down

Darla and Bruce make first hospital visits Empty Darla and Bruce make first hospital visits

Post  Jo Ann Russell Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Darla and Bruce made their first visits to Baptist Hospital in Beaumont. They were wonderful. Staff was wonderful, greeting us, and making everything work for our visit.

Darla went to the Pedi unit to find that there were 17 children and families on the unit and she was to see as many as she could. Lyvone said that they saw 14 (several were families with infants and Daddy or Mama just wanted a chance to pet). One little girl was so proud of her get well card from Darla that she said she would take it to school to show everybody and tell about the dog who came to visit when she was sick.

Bruce first had to conquer his nerves over the elevator ride (shook the poor fellow up he went to the floor, legs spread eagle). Then he visited several oncology patients who were so glad to see a dog, talked of their dogs waiting for them at home, and loved on several family members. Down that dreaded elevator to the ICU waiting area to visit families there. Several children to entertain and family members to visit with. One young lady came out of the ICU with tears brimming, she knelt by Bruce, buried her face in his rough and held on for the longest time. He was great, stood so still, then turned and softly kissed her face. No elevator this time, just two flights of stairs back to the first floor and the out-patient lobby. Finished there and back to homebase in volunteer services.

I have volunteer applications if anyone wants to get ready to visit.. Lyvone and I maintain our weekly nursing home visits and go to the hospital when we have a free time. I want to try for every other week, but may be just once a month. How ever often you can make it, Vicki and Barbara are there to help and to set your visit up. Makes it sooooooo easy and fun.
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down