HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lyvone, Darla, Holly and I visit Baptist Hospital

Go down

Lyvone, Darla, Holly and I visit Baptist Hospital Empty Lyvone, Darla, Holly and I visit Baptist Hospital

Post  Jo Ann Russell Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Waited for Lyvone to post this.

Wednesday the four of us made a morning visit to Baptist hospital. Darla and Lyvone went to Pedi and Oncology while Holly and I went to Trinity Tower 3. Somehow we both ended up in Rehab after making stops inbetween our assigned locations. I think Darla and Lyvone found a packed ICU waiting area with families in need of some therapy, and Holly and I were "picked up" by staff in several of the other units we walked through. We have learned to visit wherever there seems to be an interest even if it is not our original assignment. We had a wonderful time.

Anyway. in Rehab we visited with Janie Brussard, the director of the unit. She is planning to start using the dog times in the rehab with patients. There will be a meeting soon of those teams who are interested in working with her. It will mean that she will have you on a register and when she has a client who needs your special kind of therapy she will call and see if you can make a visit or two. Small dogs can offer petting for hand control, grooming for clutching a brush handle, eating treates for those who need to be able to use their pinch grip of fingers after strokes, etc. Big dogs and small can retrieve thrown toys. Big and small dogs can play tug of war. Big and small dogs can be used toencourage walking, by taking the patient out for a stroll in the hall (you have one leash and patient another) and Big dogs can pull wheelchairs.

Exciting opportunities and fun.
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down