HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wonderful Day at the Library

2 posters

Go down

Wonderful Day at the Library Empty Wonderful Day at the Library

Post  Jo Ann Russell Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:55 am

Wednesday was the first of our two Library days (next will be the 11th). We had a wonderful day. All of the teams had at least three sets of children to read with. Sometimes we had brother and sister teams or sister-sister teams who wanted to read together. All the children were so sweet and excited to be with the dogs. It was interesting to me that most of the parents hoovered close--interested, not concerned--and several brought their cameras taking pictures of the dog, child and handler. (which tells me that this was important tothe parent as well) It also gave us a chance to answer the parents' questions about Paws and READ.

I wish all could see the picture I saw across the hall from Holly's station. Ann Furlough must be no more than 5'2" tall. She had borrowed Wrangler who must be all of 4' tall. I saw Ann sitting on one end of Wrangler's supersized pillow, the child on the other side and Wrangler's long body somehow behind the child with his big head neatly tucked on the child's lap enjoying the petting and obviously looking at every picture on every page of the book.

Secret and Sydney made their first READ visits to the Library with Sherri. I have not gotten to talk with Sherri to see about her experience. Second timers were Darla, Sally, and Brodie.

Looking forward to next week.
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Wonderful Day at the Library Empty Re: Wonderful Day at the Library

Post  janeen schneider Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:06 am

Bet really enjoyed herself this week. I wasn't sure how she would do, but she loved it. Especially kissing all the kids. She was very proud of herself when we got home. She was a little distracted by the trains and is terrified of thunder storms, so I will have to take that into account.

Annie's last child was the granddaughter of a good friend of mine and quite a little personality. It was a nice surprise for the end of the day.

I'm not that much of a kid person, but I enjoyed every single one of them. Especially one little boy who read Captain (???wiggle or wabble, something like that) and Gloria. It was hilarious. We laughed so hard we cried. They were all so sweet and hugged us when they left.

I really liked the idea of giving the kids who read both weeks a book, I thought that was a great enhancement to the program.

Thank you to Janice for making the trading cards and bookmarks.
janeen schneider
janeen schneider
Admin

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://point2kennels.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Ann Russell Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:15 pm

By the way, I have seen in the AKC Family Dog magazine an advertisement for Thunder Shirt which is supposed to relieve the fear of thunder, gunshots, etc. I'm trying to get a response. If I get information will pass it on to everyone.

Yes we had a wonderful time. The kids are so great. And the parents just seem so delighted to bring their children, they hoover close in interest not in a protection mode. Good for all, dogs, handlers, children and parents.

I liked the fact that we used our READ bookcases, that gave the children a wide selection of books, different levels and different topices. Will make sure next year that we have a good supply of upper level as most of our READ children are struggling.
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down