HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paws Lending Library News and Books

Go down

Paws Lending Library News and Books Empty Paws Lending Library News and Books

Post  Jo Ann Russell Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:14 pm

One of the ways we are investing our proceeds from the Notecard Sales is the establishment of a Paws/HPHP lending library. By providing handlers with resources to help them become better handlers, train their dogs for therapy work, and understand the complexities of what we are asking of our animals, I think we are benefitting our clients and thus spending our money wisely. So while at Reliant dog show this weekend I purchased four books for the library, have several that Janeen shared with me, and several from my personal collection. If you have books that you want to donate send or give them to me.

At present the library resides with me until I hear someone volunteering to take on this responsibilitiy. The responsibility will include posting the library volumes on the forum and sharing the information with Janeen. When A MEMBER asks for a book, giving or sending it to them and then keeping up with who has the books, and reminding them if they keep the book beyond ONE MONTH. Paws will reimburse the "librarian" for the cost of mailing books to the Paws member, but Paws members will be responsible for the cost of return(if mailed).

WHen I have more donations of books or select a couple more for purchase, I will do a page for your Member Handbook (you all should have one, if not or you can't find your let me know).This will be a listing of our library volumes and a synopsis of the content of each.

BUT HERE ARE THE PRESENT VOLUMES:
The first is a volume I wish I could make required reading for every handler--new and experienced. I urge each of you to either add this to your personal collection or check this one out of our lending library. (most all volumes are available through www.dogwise.com or check out www.jjdog.com )

1. Therapy Dogs Today: their gifts, our obligations by Kris Butler
"Working with therapy dogs is an ongoing process of self-assessment, reflection and willingness to see another species as sometimes more capable and more compassionate than ourselves." This book speaks to the handler's obligation to the therapy dog and the "team" effort.
2. Therapy Dogs: Training Your Dog to Reach Others , 2nd Edition by Kathy Diamond Davis
This book gives you information you need to select, socialize and/or train your dog for AAA/T work. Some of the tobics include: what does AAA/T involve and how to train for it; benefits of AAA/T for you, your dog, and others; settings in which teams do their work; will your family pet make a good therapy dog; selecting and training a dog for the work (or training your pet); keeping yourself and your dog fresh for the work.
3. A Dog Who's Always Welcome, by Lorie Long. Assistance and therpy dog trainers teach you how to socialize and train your companion dog. Chapters: Hallmarks of a Dog Who's Always Welcome; From Domestication to Behavior Modification to Socialization; The Right Dog for the Right Role; Evaluating the Dog You Have; Communication Across the Species; Creating a Managed, Positive-Outcome Socialization Program; Creating a Relationship-Based Behavior and Skills Training Program; Evaluating Socalization Opportunities; Developing the Deep Relationship; and the afterword The Truth About Unconditional Canine Love.
4. Animal Assisted Interventions for Individuals with Autism, by Merope Pavlides. Whether participating in theraputic horseback riding, utilizing a trained service dog, visiting a dolphin therapy center, or experiencing companion animal therapy, people with autism can reap a multitude of benefits from interaction with furry, feathered, and finned friends.
5. Old Dog, New Tricks: Understanding and Retraining Older and Rescued Dogs by David Taylor. Older dogs suffer a range of problems - anxiety related disorders, difficult socilizing - and rescued dogs bring with them a whole suitcase full of memories. Taylor explains how to understand the canine mind, how to communicate effectively with your pet and how to go on to build the perfect partnership.
6. Smart Trainers, Brilliant Dogs by Janet R. Lewis. The key is understanding how dogs learn. This book walks you through your dogs mind and explains step-by-step how dogs perceive our commands and responds to them. This book will improve your training skills and strengthen your bond with your canine friend.
7. Choose To Heel by Dawn Jees. An excellent training manual to help handlers learn to train their dogs to maintain the heel position (or desired position). Training methods are innovative and positive.
8. One Nation Under Dog: America's Love Affair with our Dogs by Michael Schaffer.This is an intelligent and sweet-tempered romp among us and our dogs that shows how the way we treat our pets reflects evolving ideas - and lasting changes - in everything from science and consumerism to politicas and family. It is revelatory about this indispensable aspect of our culture and joyful part of our lives.
9. Dogs and Their Women by Barbara Cohen and Louise Taylor. A collection of photographs and comments.
10. and the wonderful series Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. by varied authors. Stories about canine companions and pets as Teachers, Healers, Heroes and Friends.

Jo Ann
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Paws Lending Library News and Books Empty Re: Paws Lending Library News and Books

Post  Jo Ann Russell Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:18 pm

Please be aware that the books purchased with Paws' funds were and will be only those that are deemed to be instructional/beneficial to the training and improvement of the teams. I am hoping that members will take advantage of these great volumes. I have read two of these and am into the third. There are some really great ideas and great food for thought.

The warm fuzzies such as the Chicken Soup series are donations by members. We all enjoy reading good stories about dogs, so if you have some and want to share them, please give Kay Coffey, our new Paws librarian, know.

Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down