HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rosco's first visit

Go down

Rosco's first visit Empty Rosco's first visit

Post  Jo Ann Russell Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:06 am

For those who have not met him, Rosco is a TEXAS SIZE Border Collie with every bit of the energy and drive of the breed and then some.This morning he made his first visit to Liberty Health Care Center. As we met our "regulars" I told them that this was Rosco's first day and I hoped that they would help me teach him how to be a good therapy dog. I explained that he had passed all the tests and he has been in the obedience ring and won titles and ribbons; but To really be on the job was a learning experience.

Rosco made the usual first day blunders. He wanted to rush up to folks expecting everyone to want to visit with him. (I used that wonderful control "SIT" to begin teaching him to sit by my side when I stopped in front of someone, then to only approach when given the command "Go See Mr/Mrs.....") He had to learn to focus on the resident in the bed and not on the aid who had lead us to the gentleman's room. And the O2 machine proved to be a bit of a challenge. All in all Rosco did well, not remarkable, but well

UNTILL we came to our last room. Always our visits end with a visit to the room of these two ladies and Holly is always invited up on one lady's bed for a snooze before we head home. Well, Rosco is triple the size and weight of Holly, so when he was released to go visit he went to the bedside and laid his head on the bed waiting for his petting. "Rosco, put your feet up here on my bed so I can pet you!" O.K. this is learning so we used "Paws-up" and placed his paws and chest on the bed. "Here, I've scooted over, Rosco you get your butt up here on my bed and lie down beside me." As I am explaining that Rosco is probably much to hyper to lie still and he is an outside dog with no training about being quiet and snuggling, Rosco and resident get Rosco on the bed, stretched out parallel to the resident, with his head cuddled on her arm, then on the pillow she provided. HE NOT ONLY LAY THERE QUIETLY< BUT DOZED AS SHE SCRATCHED HIM>

Sometimes we underestimate the knowledge and compassion of our animals.
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down