HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mendi's visit

3 posters

Go down

Mendi's visit Empty Mendi's visit

Post  Darrel Dearman Jr. Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:13 am

Well here we are again so I guess I'll tell you all about the best visit Mendi and I've ever had. Michelle and I had met in her office where she told me more about the patient. I can tell you that the patient has Spinal Biffeda sorry if the spelling is wrong, which is partly what had him in the Hospital in bad shape. The patient had no legs with his feet coming from his hip area which is why Mendi wasn't left on the floor as in everyone of our other visits. Also just to be 300% safer than what the nurses said was necessary we had him wear gloves while touching Mendi to protect her even though he and I could shake hands and I wash mine and be perfectly fine. He had an isolation contact precaution sign on the door but it was for his safety not ours the nurses didn't wear masks or anything it was for the fact he had an infection on his back which the dressing was just changed and nothing exposed so Michelle said we could go above and beyond to make this one exception on St. Elizabeths policy on isolation entry. Now to the goodies!

We arrived in the patients room with his nurse and when Mendi and the patient made eye contact he immediately lit up it was UNREAL! The nurse eplained the rules for the visit which the patient fully understood. We told him if he wanted to pet Mendi that he'd have to wear gloves he immediately held up his hands for the nurse to put them on. I had picked Mendi up so that the gentleman could pet her do to the fact that it was physically impossible being that he is basically just a torso with feet and arms not to be funny I don't want to offend anyone. The patient immediately asked me to place Mendi on the bed which I looked at Michelle and we talked decideing to place a light blanket over the bed to add another layer of defense for Mendi and the patients own well being. Before I could explain to the man that Mendi isn't normally allowed on the bed at home and for sure in the hospital just in case she acted nervous or unsure if she'd be in trouble; she had cuddled up to the patient laying her head in his hand as if she'd known him forever. Michelle and I noticed and told him she had never taken this good to any patient even though she is outgoing. We ended up visiting for about an hour maybe more he was the reason we were in the hospital this morning afterall. You just couldn't possibly think of ending the visit as soon as we normally do. He told us that as a child he had a Dalmation and had told us all about it. The patient said he asked had physician to request the visit because he really wanted pet therapy he truly does believe in its power of healing. The whole time Mendi layed there he never quit petting her, she hit the jackpot! The patient let me take photos which I'll email Jo Ann and hopefully she'll foward since I don't have everyones Emails. The picture of Mendi the Gentleman and Michelle holding Mendi's leash is my favorite words just can't say enough. I ended up printing and framing him it for him in a 8X10 to deliver in the next day or so. I ended the visit telling him I'd be back probably every 2-3 days since on Monday he told Michelle "AS LONG AS I HAVE SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO" so he told me he'd be in at least 2 weeks. I told him this after he told me anytime I wanted to let the dog visit to come on we're always welcome. If any of you goto St. E or would like to reach out to this patient @ St. E get in touch with Michelle Hammerly @ 924-6986. If you tell her the visit Darrel and Mendi did as well as her and Holdie coming up on Friday she'll know who you're talking about he'd really love it and believe me this visit was the icing on the cake out of all of Mendi and My visits. Michelle told me afterwards "Darrel what we experienced today most teams never get too". I sure hope everyone of you and I imaging most of you probably have but truly hope and pray everyone of you will experience also. It wouldn't suprise me if this is always my best of all time visit, hope not but it will take alot to top it. This gentleman is really a pleasure to be around. Mendi as well as all of our other dogs were born for this and are truly a GIFT FROM GOD!
Darrel Dearman Jr.
Darrel Dearman Jr.

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-10-19

Back to top Go down

Mendi's visit Empty Re: Mendi's visit

Post  Jo Ann Russell Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:55 pm

This is a wonderful sharing;thank you Darrel. We are so thankful that the doctors and nurses realized the value of your visits for this gentleman.
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Niesy Bevilacqua Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Darrell, that is so awesome! I love the pictures! That is what this is all about. Every time I go on a visit, I meet a new friend who touches me in some way. This is a great story. Thank you for your service to the hospital patients.
Niesy Bevilacqua
Niesy Bevilacqua

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/480776

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down