HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canine Flu

3 posters

Go down

Canine Flu Empty Canine Flu

Post  Rhonda Glanzer Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:55 am

Hey everyone,

As the vet in the group I feel the need to pass on info that is important for the health of your pets that you may or may not be award of. One of the clinics that I do relief work at has recently start to carry the canine influenza vaccine. Since I never work with the owner of the practice (he takes the day off when I'm there), I e-mailed him and asked him to give me the short version about this vaccine since I really didn't know anything about it. His short version was that the canine flu is a contagious upper respiratory virus that can affect any dog...highest risk to dogs that go places and are around other dogs (i.e. boarding, grooming, dog parks, pet smart, etc). Symptoms include coughing, sneezing, fever, nasal or occular discharge. By the time symptoms show up these dogs have already been shedding the virus. Treatment is cough suppresants (which sometimes don't help a lot) and often antibiotics to help ward off secondary infections. To confirm diagnosis you have to send blood to the lab to check for titers. Usually two samples taken 2-3 weeks apart are needed because the first time the titers may not be elevated.

Initially they get a vaccine and it is repeated in 3 weeks and then given annually.
For our pet therapy dogs I feel this would be a good vaccine to do since our dogs are out in public and often around other dogs.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know. If your veterinarian doesn't carry this vaccine yet, I can get it for you as long as we can figure out a place to meet.
The clinic I'm at charges $18/dose for the vaccine. When the first shot is done a full exam is done ($40). For the booster they charge a $18 wellness exam fee plus cost of vaccine.

Hope you find this info useful. I have vaccinated Wrangler for it but he's frequently at vet clinics while I work so I feel he has a high risk exposure rate.

Rhonda
Rhonda Glanzer
Rhonda Glanzer

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Back to top Go down

Canine Flu Empty Will have my three vaccinated

Post  Jo Ann Russell Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:24 pm

I will have my three vaccinated. Holly gets her stitches out Tuesday and I will ask Donna Kay. If she is not vaccinating, I will work out a time with you to give Bruce, Rosco (who needs his annual and rabies), and Holly. Holly and Bruce are up todate on their kennel cough, parvo, and rabies.
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Canine Flu Empty Canine Flu

Post  Wishbone Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:13 pm

Rhonda,

I am curious if you are hearing about more incidents of the canine influenza of late, or if it has always been common. I think I will see about getting my three vaccinated as well.

Also, can you share at what clinics you sub?

Look forward to seeing you!

Kay

Wishbone

Back to top Go down

Canine Flu Empty Re: Canine Flu

Post  janeen schneider Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:26 am

I inquired about this at my vet today (it seems like I spend most of my life at the vet). He was not all that hot on this vaccine. He just attended a CPE seminar and was told that it is only 40% effective at reducing the symptoms. He said it doesn't really prevent the flu. This is just one opinion, but I'm up in the air on it. I think I would do it if I boarded dogs or went to indoor dog shows, but leaning against it for FT's since it doesn't prevent. For 11 dogs that's $180.

I'm thinking I would really like to quit going to the vet with these cooties going around, ha ha.
janeen schneider
janeen schneider
Admin

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://point2kennels.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Canine Flu Empty Re: Canine Flu

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down