HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Library READ touches Disabled Adult reader

2 posters

Go down

Library READ touches Disabled Adult reader Empty Library READ touches Disabled Adult reader

Post  Jo Ann Russell Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:41 am

While I was waiting for my next child to select a book, a lady came up and began to explain that she had recently be diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder, had to quit her job, and was on disability. While at the library she had read the poster which described how reading with the dogs helped the children. She was trying to describe to me how difficult it was for her to take her turn at reading during her Sunday School class; but she couldn' get very far in her story because she kept tearing-up and near hyperventilating.

I took her over to Holly's corner and invited her to become a child and sit down on the pillow with Holly. Holly seemed to know, snuggled close, and the lady started petting her. We talked about Holly and about the affects dogs have on blood pressure, respiration, and heart rate. We talked about how reassuring it is for a child to read to the dog, etc. Went through the whole thing. Woven through our discussion were bits and pieces of her problem and her experience in the Sunday School classroom and in talking with strangers.

Finally I stopped her and asked her how she felt. What a change. She was calm, we had laughed together, her breathing was normal, and she was smiling. Then I reminded her that she was talking with a stranger.---She has a small dog and is going to begin working with her own dog as her therapist.

The magic of our dogs!!!!!!!
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Library READ touches Disabled Adult reader Empty Re: Library READ touches Disabled Adult reader

Post  Denice&Mae Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:26 pm

What a great story! You were both a blessing to that lady!
Denice&Mae
Denice&Mae

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down