HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello Out There

3 posters

Go down

Hello Out There Empty Hello Out There

Post  Jo Ann Russell Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:30 am

Hello out there! See some of you are regular visitors to the forum. but not adding anything. Can you tell us that you hare planning to visit the hospital and maybe someone else can join you? Can you tell us about your recent visit to the nursing home.

Janice, Lyvone, Rhonda, Sherri, Kay, Jim: Can you tell us about your experience working with the children at Hardin--Janice your reading experience and the rest your Safety around dogs?

Talk folks, that is what this is for.

Denice, been in town lately

Sara, How is Kennedy?

Janeen, did your dogs do well at the field Trial or where you judging? How did it go?
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Hello Out There Empty Re: Hello Out There

Post  Sara Gubala Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi Everyone:

Kennedy is doing ok, she is still not back to her regular peppy self yet but she is ate a little of the chicken and rice that I cooked for her. She still is in pain but I think she is getting better each day. I had to leave her today for the first time in a few days for a few hours and I hope she did okay. We are going to probably go back to the vet later today for a check-up. I will keep you all posted.

Kennedy's ITA tags and my badge came in the mail over the weekend so as soon as she is feeling better we are looking forward to shadowing someone at the hospital.

Thanks so much for all of your prayers and messages, I really appreciate them so much. Now just pray for her continued healing and strength and that I can get her to eat a little more each day so she can get some of her energy back.

Sara
Sara Gubala
Sara Gubala

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Gubala Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Just an update. I spoke to the vet today and I think he is going to test her for Addison's Disease, the vet had been thinking about Kennedy's ailments and he came to the conclusion that this may be what is plaguing her. So please continue to pray.

Sincerely,
Sara
Sara Gubala
Sara Gubala

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Ann Russell Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:57 pm

What is that, Sara?
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Gubala Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Canine Addison's disease is also known as hypoadrenocorticism and it is caused by a deficiency of the hormones produced by the adrenal glands. Addison's disease causes a reduction in the production of aldosterone. This, in turn, affects potassium, sodium and chloride levels in the blood. Potassium may build up in the blood and cause irregular or slow heartbeat. In severe cases, dogs may become weak or go into shock.

Kennedy's symptoms have been: repeated episodes of vomiting and diarrhea; appetite loss (she has never really had a good appetite); general poor health (Kennedy has had repeated trips to the vet since I have gotten her, vet initially thought her immune system was very weak but now we are not sure). Also symptoms of frequent urination which goes along with this as well.

I know it is treatable if she indeed has it but it will be a lifetime of medications so we will see. I have also read that there are some diet related things that can be done to help with it and the avoidance of high stress situations which might indeed limit where we can do therapy work.

All of this was difficult to hear today but I was glad that my vet had thought about her condition as I have been concerned about this happening again. As I understand things, the tests will have to be sent off somewhere(I assume Texas A&M) so I won't know right away if this is what she has. Regardless, I think I am going to hold off on tests until Kennedy gets her stitches out from her surgery as I want her to heal and not be too stressed. She may be able to get the stitches out Friday as she has been scratching at them and the vet is concerned she may pull them out.

Sara

Sara Gubala
Sara Gubala

Back to top Go down

Post  Niesy Bevilacqua Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:18 am

Gosh, that's a lot to swallow, but at least they can treat it and maybe she won't have to go through all that again. Poor little Kennedy. Hope y'all can get it all figured out. Still praying for y'all!
Niesy Bevilacqua
Niesy Bevilacqua

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/480776

Back to top Go down

Hello Out There Empty Family Reading Night at Kountze Elementary

Post  Niesy Bevilacqua Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:28 am

We had a really busy night with our Paws dogs at Family Reading Night. This was a last-minute idea and I wish I would have recruited more members, but that will definitely be in order next year. Our school does this every year, but I haven't really been involved with it before. Last year I offered to bring Crush and they kind of brushed me off. That was before John Ferguson motivated them to let us bring the dogs last spring.
Tonight Mae, Crush, and Spots were a big hit with the kids and families. The staff looked pretty impressed as well. We had kids lined up to read to the dogs all night. Hate that Perry and Boomer couldn't make it due to illness. We could have kept them busy, too! I have a feeling that we will be in high demand at the next one. Thanks so much Denice and Paul for coming out and doing such a great job with our students! I will post some pics on the Facebook page tomorrow.
Niesy
Niesy Bevilacqua
Niesy Bevilacqua

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Gubala Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Niesy that is so awesome that the dog's were able to participate in family reading night, what great exposure for the READ program and for the therapy dogs in general, definitely let me know if you do that again!!

I took Kennedy back to the vet today, A HUGE thanks to Rhonda for consulting with my vet, I felt so good walking in today and hearing him say that he had texted with you about Kennedy's case, I know that somehow the two of you will figure out what is wrong with Kennedy. She did have a bunch of blood taken to try to figure what is going on with her and we should know by Thursday if she has Addison's and also if anything else shows up that might be causing her problems. She had lost 2.5 pounds since all of this but she hadn't eaten for about of week so I am grateful she did not lose more than that. The vet did reassure me that even if she has Addison's she can still do therapy work that she is the perfect therapy dog as she loves people Smile but that I would need to watch her for stress symptoms, which is no different from normal.

I do appreciate all the continued prayers, I will keep you posted on what happens next.

Sara
Sara Gubala
Sara Gubala

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Gubala Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Just heard from the vet, Kennedy does NOT have Addison's Disease, so the next theory is that it could be Inflammatory Bowel Disease, so if she is not eating better by Friday, then he is going to start her on some steroids.

Sara
Sara Gubala
Sara Gubala

Back to top Go down

Post  Niesy Bevilacqua Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Sounds like good news, I hope. I know you are ready to know what is going on and be able to get her some relief. Perry was doing better today and was planning on going back to work. Hopefully we can get the crew together again next week!
Niesy Bevilacqua
Niesy Bevilacqua

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Ann Russell Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:45 am

Niesy: Getting the crew together next week????? what's going with the "Crew"? Is this the Tricks Class PSerry has? That must be a lot of fun. Would have loved to taken it but don't like to drive at night. So glad you are taking a lead with the group. What's been with PErry? Haven't heard anything. YOU FOlks are really doing great!

When you get back together talk with Perry about my proposal to do a "preparation for competition class" Will do a basic obedience for the community out here in Liberty area beginning march 29th.

Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum