HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kountze's first R.E.A.D.

2 posters

Go down

Kountze's first R.E.A.D. Empty Kountze's first R.E.A.D.

Post  Niesy Bevilacqua Thu May 06, 2010 11:55 pm

Well, here is some good news. This morning we did an informal version of R.E.A.D. at Kountze Elementary. John, Lisa, and Dusty came over from the middle school to join us. We had three dog/handler groups and pulled 2 kindergarten students from each class to come to the library. I told the kids I wanted them to come read to me at the library, but didn't tell them there were dogs there! They were really excited and had a great time. We each took 4 children and let them take turns reading to the dogs. We gave them bookmarks to take home. The principal came and took pictures, and the first grade teachers peeked in because they had a workshop going in the computer lab across the hall. I ran into the superintendent while I was walking back to my classroom with the dogs. She told me she wished she had been there earlier to come check it out. Even though it wasn't one on one, it still went great (the kids are accustomed to reading in groups anyway, but I know the point of READ is to take away the pressure of having to read aloud in front of other kids). We are planning to do first grade next week, and hopefully see 2nd & 3rd before school gets out. At least we are getting the administration on board and hopefully will open the doors to real READ volunteers to come next year. Where are my READ volunteers???? (Obviously John, Lisa, Dusty, and I can't just continue to leave our posts to do this, though I'd love to!) Too bad I can't volunteer for a living!

Tomorrow, my entire family is taking part in kindergarten's western day at Cowboys for Christ. (That's what I love about Kountze...what other public school takes kids to Cowboys for Christ?) Our church makes up most of the cowboy church, so many of our congregation will be working. We will give horse rides, wagon rides, roping lessons, and stick horse races. This year, Crush and I have been asked to be one of the stations (just got the call today!), so I will do a safety lesson, tell them about our group, and have Crush do some tricks to entertain them. I'll bring Spot along in hopes that Dusty can work with me as well, though we already have three jobs lined out for him!

Kountze Library wants to do "Dog Days" this summer! If anyone wants to be part of it, let me know. Just have Crush and Spots so we can use plenty more. I'll text Perry because I know he doesn't always check forum.
Thanks to the ladies who covered Kirby's Safety program! It's a good thing I didn't go, because some big shots from Houston came to my classroom to observe! I have had loads of outside visitors this year. I guess that's a good thing. But i sure wanted to be in Silsbee with y'all! hope you all have a good weekend and remember Jo Ann and James in your prayers!

Niesy
Niesy Bevilacqua
Niesy Bevilacqua

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/480776

Back to top Go down

Kountze's first R.E.A.D. Empty Re: Kountze's first R.E.A.D.

Post  Jo Ann Russell Fri May 07, 2010 11:23 am

So proud of You, John, Lisa, and Dusty in introducing READ to the folks of Kountze. Yes, where are your READ volunteers.

It may be that there will be a burst of interest now in the public for the READ which means they need to become registered therapy. Remember we can do a workshop and get them registered as therapy.

ALSO REMEMBER: Just being ITA registered DOES NOT register you for READ. Your volunteers must do the READ manual, test, application, and send in to ITA. Paws members --- Application fees covered by the READ donors.

Niesy: Be sure to take your cards with you. THESE ARE OUR MEANS OF BUYING NEW BOOKS AND MATERIALS FOR OUR READ TEAMS. THESE ARE ONE OF THE SOURCES OF FUNDS. GOOD TIME TO SELL.

jO aNN
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum