HPHP/Paws 4 Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two Boomers

3 posters

Go down

Two Boomers Empty Two Boomers

Post  Jo Ann Russell Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:42 pm

For those who don't know who Boomer is, Boomer is a big golden retriever. He is the subject of three picture story books we use when we first meet with our new R.E.A.D. children. Some struggle through Boomer books, others breeze; but Boomer helps us know which books in Holly's suitcase will be appropriate for the new readers.

ADDITIONALLY after reading a Boomer book the new reader gets a chance to adopt a minature Boomer. They sign an adoption certificate in which they promise "to read to Boomer everyday until I grow up."

This year Holly and I have four children in our reading program at Devers. Tuesday morning we met our first little girl and she was so pleased with her new Boomer; she promised that she would bring him to school everyday and read during quiet time.

Today we met our second third grade girl; read Boomer's Surprise with her, and she adopted her Boomer. I peeked in the room after returning this child to the classroom. The teacher had just settled the class for her time to read to the group. The kids were all snuggled down in bean bag chairs ready for the story. When girl one saw girl two with her new Boomer, girl one raced over to her desk and picked up her Boomer that was sitting on the top of her desk. Together the two girls went hand in hand back to the circle, shared a beanbag and readied their Boomers for the story. I heard the teacher explain to the class as she showed the class the adoption certificate, that the girls had made a promise to read to their Boomers every day. So Boomer continues his magic. Very Happy
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Two Boomers Empty Re: Two Boomers

Post  Niesy Bevilacqua Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:46 pm

That's awesome! I so wish I could do the READ program!
Niesy Bevilacqua
Niesy Bevilacqua

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/480776

Back to top Go down

Two Boomers Empty You Can, but you have to look for different sites

Post  Jo Ann Russell Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:53 pm

You can do READ, but it is more difficult for you to do at school. But you could do it at your library once a month or even if you have an after school programs at your church or others. Huntsville group is doing a library after school program once a month.

To do the formal R.E.A.D. at school, you would have to have home owner's insurance that would cover pet liability. Then you would have to work with your principal to allow you to have one hour a week to spend with two children (1 30 min session each) for 10 weeks. Or if your principal approves you could once a month bring Crush and do a Read with a group of children (3 at most for control).

I'd work on the Library and getting the lady from Lumberton to join you there. We'll talk tomorrow at the Bark Park.
Jo Ann Russell
Jo Ann Russell

Number of posts : 643
Location : P.O. Box 623 Devers, TX 77538 936/549-7613; 936/334-3547
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post  janeen schneider Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:30 am

This is such a valuable program and what a great tool you have with the Boomers. I hope those little girls keep their promise to Boomer!
janeen schneider
janeen schneider
Admin

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://point2kennels.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: